Thursday, May 22, 2008

Re: [NOVICE] recreating tables from global files

--- "G. J. Walsh" <gjwalsh@dscdirectionalservices.com> wrote:

> I suffered a major server crash.
>
> Everything is fully reinstalled now EXCEPT postgresql8.3
>
> There was no way I could see to get postgres running except by
> removing /var/lib/pgsql/data. That was, I assumed, okay,
> because I have
> a full backup of all the files.
>
> So ... I reinstalled postgresql binaries following the same
> procedure as
> for the initial installation. I then restored the data/global
> files, but
> postgresql, while finding the database, sees no tables
> whatever.
>
> I am sure there must be a way to recreate the tables from the
> files in
> the data/global directory but I don't know what that is.
> Further, of
> course, the files representing the tables are identified by
> numbers, not
> their table names.

I assume you already consulted the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/backup.html

Bruce


--
Sent via pgsql-novice mailing list (pgsql-novice@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-novice

No comments: