Sunday, July 27, 2008

Re: [PATCHES] pg_dump additional options for performance

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> Agreed but that is a problem I understand with a solution I don't. I
>> am all eyes on a way to fix that. One thought I had and please, be
>> gentle in response was some sort of async transaction capability. I
>> know that libpq has the ability to send async queries. Is it possible
>> to do this:
>>
>> send async(copy table to foo)
>> send async(copy table to bar)
>> send async(copy table to baz)
>>
>> Where all three copies are happening in the background?
>>
>>
>
> IIRC, libpq doesn't let you have more than one async query active at one
> time.

Now that I think on it harder, this isn't even a libpq problem (although
its involved), we need the postmaster do be able to do a background
async query. Which is (I am guessing) why libpq can only do one at a time.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Sent via pgsql-patches mailing list (pgsql-patches@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-patches

No comments: