Friday, July 25, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] php + postgresql

> Well no PHP is conceptual undisciplined and confusing. I would
> not compare this with Postgresql itself which is very professional
> developed with a great vision. PHP is just and always was a hack.

I didn't mean to compare PG and PHP at the level of engineering quality,
but to suggest that perhaps both suffer from people continuing to hold
rigid preconceptions about them based on how things were 5 or 10 years ago.

Anyway, while I'm quite happy to continue banging out things that "just
work" in PHP for the time being, you suggest (in a subsequent post) that
there is one scripting language in particular that you'd use ... might I
enquire which language that is, and why? Just curious, I'm definitely
not looking for an ideological debate.

Re the possible heightened level of animosity to PHP in PG circles, if
it exists, could it have anything to do with PHP's close association
with MySql? The animosity, by the way, seems to go both ways, I think I
saw something about Rasmus Lerdorf bagging PostgreSQL on Slashdot(?)
recently. Personally, I'm not overly concerned either way. I'm happy to
leave the academic debates to those with the time to pursue them.

I'm the first to admit I know little about the art and science of
relational database design and admin. But up to this point, I haven't
needed to. It doesn't take rocket science to store and retrieve some
text for a few web pages in a database.

Anyway, this is proving an interesting, lively and helpful community,
hope to learn lots more about doing things the PostgreSQL way ... with
PHP :-).

Mick

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: