Friday, July 25, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] invalid byte sequence for encoding "UNICODE"

On Jul 24, 8:06 pm, m...@alanny.ru (AlannY) wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Many times, I'm confronting with that strange problem: invalid byte
> sequence for encoding "UNICODE". So, I guess, Postgresql can't allow me
> to use some symbols which is not a part of UNICODE. But what is that
> symbals?
>
> I'm attaching a screenshot with THAT dead-symbol. As you can see - it's
> an unknown symbol in the end of Cyrillic. First of all, I have checked
> my data with iconv (iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-8 data.txt) and there are no
> errors, so, I guess, there are no dead-symbols.
>
> So the question is: is it possible to find a *table* with forbitten
> characters for encoding "UNICODE"? If I can get it -> I can kill that
> dead-characters in my program ;-)
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-gene...@postgresql.org)
> To make changes to your subscription:http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

To say the truth, there are no characters, forbidden in UNICODE as
there are no characters, that you can have, that are not in UNICODE.
The other thing is UTF8, that encodes real UNICODE into 8bit byte
sequence. There errors occur.

What does the command:

show lc_ctype;

show?

As Tom has said, more information about your system would be really
handy...

With best regards,

-- Valentine Gogichashvili

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: