Friday, June 6, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] Overhauling GUCS

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 01:30 +0200, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
> > "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:

> I think I made my point very clear when stating "not a file, but via
> SQL". Though I'm not a native English speaker, and I'm sure you
> understood. I must assume you're polluting this thread deliberately in
> order to sabotage the original intention of this thread. I find this
> disgusting.
>
> Ok, trying to contribute gui tools for pgsql is for masochists. We have
> vi, sed and grep, no more tools required, right?

Hold on guys, let's not get all out of whack. No one in their right mind
is going to suggest that vi, sed and grep are the only tools we need to
do this.

However a GUI wizard isn't really a way to go either. SQL? Yes it would
be very nice to be able to:

BEGIN;
SET shared_buffers to 65536 COMMENT IS 'Since I have 4G of ram I want
512 megs of shared buffers';
SET effective_cache_size to 262144 COMMENT IS 'Since I have 4G of ram I
want 1 gig of effective_cache';
COMMIT;

When that is done, it would write out the postgresql.conf.

Regardless of all of this, this thread is way out of hand. We went from
overhauling the configuration file to wizards, sample postgresql.conf
files and possibly even half of us migrating to MySQL :P.

Can we refine the topic a bit?

Joshua D. Drake


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: