Thursday, September 4, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] pg_dump etc. versions

Jan-Peter Seifert wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's a compatibility list of the tools supplied with PostgreSQL - e.g. psql seems to be very server version specific (only major or also minor versions?).
> For pg_dump I'd say users should use the version of the target server if it's already installed, but is this also the case if the target server version is older? Am I completely wrong? Should I always use the pg_dump from the source server? When migrating from 8.1 to 8.2 I get several errors with commands regarding creating users and a lib that had been integrated into the core when restoring from the source server's pg_dump's dump. When using the target server's pg_dump for the dump I don't. But is then really everything okay? And pgAdmin comes with its own set of the PostgreSQL tools ...

I think the only thing that we really check is that pg_dump of a newer
version can dump databases from an older version server. All the other
tools probably only work (completely) with a server from the same major
release.


--
Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin

No comments: