Thursday, September 4, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] Database Conversion

>
> Hello, All,
>
> I have a new faculty member who has a large database that is
> in MySQL. We don't support MySQL so the database needs to be
> ported to PostgreSQL. Her GA, who know MySQL, says that he
> has a query that he will run that will put the data into
> postgres. I thought that the data would have to be output to
> a text file and then copied into postgres. I don't know
> MySQL. I've done a conversion from Oracle and this is how I
> did it. Is he correct that he can put the data into a
> postgres database by running a MySQL query? It doesn't sound
> possible to me.
>
> Carol
>

You could possibly do it in a single operation using MS Access if you
have an ODBC connection to each database. If however the dataset is
large, I wouldn't recommend it. I have a number of MySQL and PostgreSQL
dbs and I either dump sql and then import or use PHP scripts when moving
between the two.

Nick

--
Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin

No comments: