Sunday, September 7, 2008

[HACKERS] Move src/tools/backend/ to wiki

So I just noticed that we have a description of the Pg innards in the
sourcecode, complete with a flowchart and all, at src/tools/backend.
I had already seen this graph years ago; what shocked me the most was
finding out that there's a pointer to it in the Developer's FAQ, in a
question that's absolutely unrelated to it.

So I went ahead and moved its mention to a separate question, where it
has a lot more visibility. (I also added an URL to anoncvs, where
people can see it more readily.)

What I'm wondering right now is what's the value of having this stuff
in the source code at all. Why don't we move it to the Wiki and remove
it from the repo? Would anybody object to that idea? Having it on CVS
means that nobody is able to improve the text, which is kind of sad
because it's been neglected for the last 3 years.

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company - Command Prompt, Inc.

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: