Monday, June 16, 2008

Re: [pgus-board] Vision

Michael Alan Brewer wrote:

>> A lot of this is going to be a bit of repeat of the bylaws but perhaps
>> in a more marketable way.
>>
>> US PostgreSQL Association Vision
>>
>> The US PostgreSQL Association, also known as PGUS is a Professional non
>> profit corporation.
>
> Is "PGUS" our official nickname? (Kidding! ;) )

Well actually one of the thoughts is to make it a DBA.

>
> Should "Professional" be capitalized (especially if "non profit" is
> neither capitalized or hyphenated)?

I am not sure actually. I was using Professional as a title but I don't
know that it matters if I lower case it.

>
>> We are dedicated to all users of PostgreSQL whether
>> hobbyists, professional developers, PostgreSQL.Org contributors, user
>> groups or students.
>
> Perhaps change "whether hobbyists" to "whether they are".
>

Yep I can do that.

>>
>> (c) Organize, hold and conduct meetings, discussion, and forums on the
>> contemporary issues concerning the use of PostgreSQL.
>
> Should "discussion" be plural (since "meetings" and "forums" are)?

I believe you conduct discussion but have discussions (that is straight
from the bylaws so I lean to attorney for that one).

>
>> Practically speaking, this means we want to:
>>
>> * Penetrate academia presenting an alternative to already heavily
>> invested technologies such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL.
>
> Might as well include MySQL in the mix. (Is the "Practically
> speaking" section to go on the vision page, or is this for internal
> use?)

I ignored MySQL on purpose of course. Granting course to a lessor enemy
just empowers them. However regardless of that, MySQL really isn't a
player in academia in terms of what is "taught", is it? Everything I
have seen in terms of curriculum is blantantly Oracle or MS SQL. Am I wrong?

>
>> * Create sponsorship programs that utilize the power and influence of
>> the for profit market
>
> "for profit" should probably be hyphenated, like "non-profit".
>

Yep I could change that.

>> to continue the penetration of PostgreSQL by
>> educating professional users and corporations on the benefits of using
>> the database.
>
> Me likey the alliteration. ;)
>
> Anyhoo, I like the Vision statement; well done, Joshua! :)
>

Thanks, I will make your suggested changes sans MySQL until further
discussion from you :)

Joshua D. Drake

> ---Michael Brewer
> mbrewer@gmail.com
>


--
Sent via pgus-board mailing list (pgus-board@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgus-board

No comments: