Monday, June 16, 2008

Re: [pgadmin-hackers] Dialogs review

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm thinking about doing a complete review of our dialogs. During my work on
> the comment tab, I found many dialogs not using spacers and sizers. So, I
> would like to add them and, if at all possible, make dialogs growable. Of
> course, I'll wait the comment patch is applied before working on this.

OK. One thought I had - XRCed doesn't do a great job as we already
know. If you're going to review the dialogues to this level, please
consider other tools such as DialogBlocks - they may do a far better
job of automating the process, and have a distinct style in the way
they handle layout (preferring one sizer type over another for
example). Let's take the opportunity to review the tools and pick
something that will make this nice and easy in the future.

Oh, and just so you know, some of the tools out there are not Open
Source. pgAdmin is not a political project, and I wouldn't want us to
discount something that may be a great tool purely because it's not
OSS. Obviously if it costs money, then that is an issue.

> There's a question left to me. Should I do a complete review and send a
> complete patch, or should I send one patch for each dialog? A complete patch
> will be really hard to review. Having one patch for each dialog will be
> simple to review but the number of patches needed will be a major burden.

Incremental patching is fine. It's easier for everyone in the long run.

--
Dave Page
EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com

--
Sent via pgadmin-hackers mailing list (pgadmin-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-hackers

No comments: