Saturday, June 7, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] temporarily deactivate an index

Hi Scott,

Am 07.06.2008 um 16:53 schrieb Scott Marlowe:
>> I'm experimenting with different indexes to speed up my queries and
>> I was
>> wondering if it is possible to temporarily deactivate an index, so
>> it won't
>> be considered in the evaluation of query plans. The reason is that
>> dropping
>> and then rebuilding an index takes up time which I would rather not
>> wait.
>>
>> I couldn't find a command to do that, but I'm guessing that it
>> should be
>> possible by manipulating a structure in the catalog?
>
> Try this:
>
> begin;
> drop indexname;
> explain analyze select ...;
> rollback;

That works, but I'm still looking for another way to deactivate the
index. The reason being, that my query load is randomly generated by
a Java program and I don't want to go and change the SQL compiler.

Cheers,
Viktor

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: