Saturday, June 7, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] FW: make rows unique across db's without UUIP on windows?

Bill, thanks, that made me think a while.

But doesn't that just push the problem up the chain a notch?

Adding a table id makes the row unique in the database but not beyond.

Then you add a database id to the table/row id and you are unique across
databases?

But can you be universally unique without being universal?

I thought I needed to have an id that would mark any column that comes from
that row with its unique origin row.

With a GUID I'm pretty much home.

But no series of semi-unique keys will ever become as unique as a GUID, will
it? That is, until you add a service id to the database id and a server id
to the service id and a rack id to the server id and a floor id to the rack
id and a bldg id to the floor id and so forth up the chain until you get 64
values in your multi-valued index. And then also make sure none of the
combinations of 64 values repeats anywhere in your global enterprise.

At that point everyone using a system that doesn't have a GUID type changes
the subject and asks, 'you sure you need that?'

But I don't have to need it so much if I've got it. All I have to need it is
a little and I can use it. Then if I need it more later, I've already got
it.

It's only when I don't have it that people say, 'you sure you need it?'

Know what I mean?

Thanks,

Kimball

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Moran [mailto:wmoran@collaborativefusion.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 5:57 AM
To: kjohnson@voiceandnetworksystems.com
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] FW: make rows unique across db's without UUIP on
windows?

In response to "Kimball Johnson" <kjohnson@voiceandnetworksystems.com>:
>
> What is the normal solution in pgsql-land for making a serious number of
> rows unique across multiple databases?
>
>
>
> I mean particularly databases of different types (every type) used at
> various places (everywhere) on all platforms (even MS[TM])? You know. a
> UNIVERSAL id?

Just give each separate system it's own unique identifier and a sequence
to append to it.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.
http://people.collaborativefusion.com/~wmoran/

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023


--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: