Sunday, June 22, 2008

[pgadmin-support] Backup/Restore problem (Windows) - newbie

I have looked at prior messages on this topic, but haven't been able to get
my restore to work.

I am doing a backup on my client's server (I've tried, PLAIN, COMPRESSED,
SCHEMA/DATA only).

I then copy the file to my PC and want to restore here. I've tried the
restore in PGAdmin, but the restore option is disabled. Or I try to restore
the PLAIN versions, and again it is disabled. If I rename the .backup to
.sql, I can load the SQL script, but it fails immediately.

I guess my questions are....

1) Obviously, what are the steps to do a successful restore on a different
PC?

2) If I restore over my existing (old) DB, do I need to empty the tables, or
delete and recreate the DB first?

I have PG Admin 1.8.2 at the client site, and 1.8.4 here. Both sites are
using PGSQL 8.3.0.

Thanks,
Rocky
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Backup-Restore-problem-%28Windows%29---newbie-tp18060565p18060565.html
Sent from the PostgreSQL - pgadmin support mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


--
Sent via pgadmin-support mailing list (pgadmin-support@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-support

No comments: