Wednesday, May 21, 2008

[BUGS] Getting the command line to work

Hi. Perhaps this isn't the proper place to send this, but it's the only address I have. I've installed postgres and I'm trying to use the command prompt to create a database (PGAdmin III having failed miserably at the task). The documentation I'm working with, created by people I trust know what they're doing, says that I should enter the following:
 
"createdb qf_local -U postgres -W -h localhost"
 
But when I do that, it tells me that there are too many command line arguments and it fails.
 
What am I doing wrong? I've never worked with DOS before, so my error might even be blindingly obvious, but I have no idea what it is. Any help you could give me in getting postgres to do what it's supposed to do would be marvelous.
 
Many thanks,
 
Paul Jordan
Digital Archivist
Occidental College

No comments: