Friday, September 19, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] How to change log file language?

On Friday 19. September 2008, Rainer Bauer wrote:

>I installed 8.3.3 on an english WinXP. The database cluster was
> initialized with server encoding UTF8 and the locale was set to
> 'German, Germany'.
>
>Now all messages in the log and everywhere else are showing up in
> German (as expected). However I want to see those messages in
> English. I tried to alter lc_messages in the postgresql.conf file (
> '', 'C' and 'English_United States'), but this seems to have no
> effect (yes, I restarted the server).

I don't know how this is handled in Windows, but on a Linux computer you
can enter the directory /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ and
just rename or delete the file psql.mo.

I fixed the issue permanently on my Gentoo system by disabling nls
support for PostgreSQL. I hate localized messages. They are
distracting, hard to figure out, or even downright silly, and you can't
do efficient searches on Google in problem situations.
--
Leif Biberg Kristensen | Registered Linux User #338009
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: