Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] What process clears the logs?

Carol Walter wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As you may be aware, we experienced a problem last week with pg_clogs
> that had been deleted, through human error it appears. What process
> will clear or delete the pg_clogs? I've been all over the
> documentation and I'm not finding a reference to this.
>
PostgreSQL takes care of this itself. I don't know where it is
documented but IIRC from old messages, the number of files in pg_xlog
should level out at about two-times your checkpoint_settings value.

I'd have to do some digging as I don't recall for sure, but I think that
if you are using archive_command setting to archive WAL files the
archive command does not return "success", then the WAL file will not be
removed/reused.

Cheers,
Steve


--
Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin

No comments: