Friday, September 26, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] postgres at reboot

Hi Scott,

It's too bad (in this particular case) that you are
agreeing with me!  I want someone to find a hole in
my logic so that I can find a handle to fix the
problem.  The problem being that postgres doesn't get
started when the machine gets rebooted.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu


-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:scott.marlowe@gmail.com]
Sent: Fri 9/26/2008 1:44 PM
To: Tena Sakai
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] postgres at reboot

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Tena Sakai <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> When I issue: /sbin/chkconfig --list | grep postgres
> it comes back with:
>
>  postgresql_ORG  0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>  postgresql      0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> I felt a bit strange that it says 'off' at run level 6.

Run level 6 is reboot, so that's normal.

> I went into /etc/rc.d and issued:
>  sudo find . -name \*postgresql\* -ls | grep S98postgresql
> and it came back with:
>
>  15618186    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Aug 21 17:00
> ./rc4.d/S98postgresql -> ../init.d/postgresql
>  15618294    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Aug 21 17:00
> ./rc3.d/S98postgresql -> ../init.d/postgresql
>  15618351    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Aug 21 17:00
> ./rc2.d/S98postgresql -> ../init.d/postgresql
>  15618024    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           20 Aug 21 17:00
> ./rc5.d/S98postgresql -> ../init.d/postgresql
>
> Next, I went into /etc/rc.d/rc6.d and typed:
>  ls -l
> and it gave me this:
>      .       .  .    .      .  .   .   .         .              .        .
>      .       .  .    .      .  .   .   .         .              .        .
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   20 Aug 21 17:00 S98postgresq ->
> ../init.d/postgresql
>
> There is an 'l' missing from the name!  I thought for a moment

It shouldn't  be there, sounds like someone added it by hand.

> I found the culprit, but then I issued the command below:
>  /sbin/chkconfig --list | grep '6:on'
> and it returned nothing.
>
> I am a bit confused.  As I understand, run level 6 means, in
> redhat context, shutdown and reboot.  But it seems in my case
> nothing is turned on for level 6.  Then that missing 'l'
> is really of no significance?

Right, nothing should be started for those run levels.

No comments: