Sunday, August 3, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] patch: Add a separate TRUNCATE permission

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 09:03 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e@gmx.net) wrote:
> > Am Tuesday, 29. July 2008 schrieb Stephen Frost:
> > > I'd certainly like to see a truncate permission, I wrote a patch for it
> > > myself back in January of 2006. That thread starts here:
> > >
> > > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-01/msg00028.php
> > >
> > > I think someone else submitted a patch for it last year too, actually.

It was raised in January and rejected again then. Glad to see it raised
again here. I believe Tom's previous concerns about allowing truncate
permissions were related to the potentially increased number of truncate
commands this would cause and the need to tune invalidation messages.
That's done now.

> > Well, that certainly indicates some demand.
> >
> > I think we should worry about adding more bits when we need them. It's
> > certainly possible to add more bits, so it is not like we need to save the
> > ones we have forever.
>
> I would agree with this. Others?

I've no problem with running out of bits. At this rate, we have enough
some for some years yet. But I don't see too many additional permissions
coming along anyhow.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: