Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] CommitFest July Over

Hi,

Josh Berkus wrote:
> 2) The number of patches is going to keep increasing with each
> commitfest. As such, the patch list is going to get harder to deal
> with. We now urgently need to start working on CF management software.

Agreed.

> 3) Round Robin Reviewers didn't really work this time, aside from
> champion new reviewer Abhjit. For the most part, RRR who were assigned
> patches did not review them for 2 weeks. Two areas where this concept
> needs to be improved:
> a) we need to assign RRR to patches two days after the start of
> commitfest, not a week later;

Maybe it's just me, but I don't quite understand the concept of RRR. If
I get some spare cycles to review patches, I certainly want to choose
mysqlf which patch I'm going to review. Why is the CF Manager doing any
assignment of patches?

Of course, the reviewers need to coordinate, it doesn't make much sense
for seven people concurrently reviewing the same patch. But shouldn't
the reviewer take care of 'tagging' a patch as being reviewed?

Or do you think it's motivating to get nagged about accepting or
rejecting a patch assignment? For my part, it's been the main reason I
didn't sign up as an RRR: I didn't want to get into that situation. On
the other hand, I must admit that I didn't review any of the outstanding
patches either...

Regards

Markus Wanner

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: