Saturday, July 19, 2008

Re: [PATCHES] pg_dump additional options for performance

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 23:07 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Simon,
>
> I agree with adding these options in general, since I find myself
> frustrated by having to vi huge dumps to change simple schema things.
> A couple of comments on the patch though:
>
> - Conflicting option handling
> I think we are doing our users a disservice by putting it on them to
> figure out exactly what:
> multiple object groups cannot be used together
> means to them. You and I may understand what an "object group" is,
> and why there can be only one, but it's a great deal less clear than
> the prior message of
> options -s/--schema-only and -a/--data-only cannot be used together
> My suggestion would be to either list out the specific options which
> can't be used together, as was done previously, or add a bit of (I
> realize, boring) code and actually tell the user which of the
> conflicting options were used.
>
> - Documentation
> When writing the documentation I would stress that "pre-schema" and
> "post-schema" be defined in terms of PostgreSQL objects and why they
> are pre vs. post.
>
> - Technically, the patch needs to be updated slightly since another
> pg_dump-related patch was committed recently which also added
> options and thus causes a conflict.
>
> Beyond those minor points, the patch looks good to me.

Thanks for the review. I'll make the changes you suggest.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support


--
Sent via pgsql-patches mailing list (pgsql-patches@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-patches

No comments: