Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?

"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:54 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I believe Devrim already has a yum repository up and running for
>> RPM-based distros, though I'm not sure he's got anything but the core
>> packages in it (yet).

> Well that was certainly part of my point. We have
> http://www.pgsqlrpms.org/
> ...
> E.g; in short let's work with respective projects to get these as part
> of the repositories.

There's a limit to how far you can go there, because just about any
distro (other than maybe Gentoo) is going to be resistant to dropping in
bleeding-edge versions. *Especially* code that's not 99.44%+ compatible
with what's in their current releases. To take the example I'm most
closely familiar with: sure I can put the latest and greatest into
Fedora rawhide, but that has approximately zip to do with what people
are running in the field. As soon as a Fedora release happens, I'm
constrained by compatibility issues as to what I can put into that
branch. RHEL releases ten times more so. I gather that Debian, for
instance, is even more paranoid than Red Hat about upstream version
bumps.

So I think the real-world situation is that we have to make stuff
available to people who want to run something newer/different from what
their chosen distro ships. That means providing our own repo.

Certainly I've got no problem with pushing stuff to the official distros
as fast as we can, but you've got to realize that that's gonna be a slow
process, and necessarily always out of date for any distro version that
is actually popular in the field.

regards, tom lane

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: