Monday, June 2, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] Overhauling GUCS

Greg,

> Like some of the other GUC simplification ideas that show up sometimes
> (unifying all I/O and limiting background processes based on that total
> is another), this is hard to do internally.  Josh's proposal has a fair
> amount of work involved, but the code itself doesn't need to be clever
> or too intrusive.  Unifying all the memory settings would require being
> both clever and intrusive, and I doubt you'll find anybody who could
> pull it off who isn't already overtasked with more important
> improvements for the 8.4 timeframe.

Plus, I'm a big fan of "enable an API" rather than "write a feature". I
think that there are people & companies out there who can write better
autotuning tools than I can, and I'd rather give them a place to plug
those tools in than trying to write autotuning into the postmaster.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: