Monday, June 30, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] Configuring Shared Buffers

The Postgres version is 8.3.3 and I am using Fedora Core 8.
I have in the actual server around 70 connections the same time. I am assigning for this 100.


2008/6/30 Tino Schwarze <postgresql@tisc.de>:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 02:52:05PM -0300, Rafael Domiciano wrote:

> Folks, I am configuring a new Postgres Server, that's gonna substitute the
> critical server of the enterprise.
> I have a good machine:
> Quad-Core 2.5 Ghz
> 4 Gb RAM
> 1 Dedicated HD 300 Gb Sata for the PostgreSQL Directory

If it's the "critical server", you'd want to use a RAID1 for the disk so
your server and data survives a harddisk crash.

> My question is:
> How much I could assign for the "Shared Buffers" parameter?
>
> The default assigned now is 24 Mb.

That's rather low. I suppose, you may safely say 200Mb here (check that
you don't run into OS limits, they might need raising). You may also
want to increase work_mem, but it depends on what the DB does, how many
concurrent connections you have etc. pp. maintenance_work_mem may safely
be set rather high - it speeds up vacuum etc. and is only used during
such operations. Also look for effective_cache_size and max_fsm_pages.

BTW: What version are you going to use?

Tino.

--
"What we nourish flourishes." - "Was wir nähren erblüht."

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de

--
Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin

No comments: