Monday, May 12, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] constraint exclusion analysis caching

Andrew,

* Andrew Dunstan (andrew@dunslane.net) wrote:
> For example, because it put *my* address in the list for your message
> above, it caused my MUA quite correctly to add a To: line to myself,
> which I certainly didn't want to do.

Honestly, I suspect thunderbird just doesn't know your addresses if
it's adding your address back in. Adding your address isn't for you-
it's for other people. The, completely reasonable, assumption is that
if your address was included in a To or Cc that you're not on the list
and stripping that out would mean you'd be left out.

> And it's completely unnecessary. For example, I have set my majordomo
> preferences for the postgresql.org lists not to send me copies of emails
> where I am also in the To: or Cc: lines. After doing that I get no
> duplicates.

This doesn't help at all, actually. As I pointed out previously, I
*want* the mail through the list, what I *don't* want is people sending
list mail directly to me.

> And I don't casue anyone else to have to edit the addresses when they
> reply to my mail.

Are you sure thunderbird recognizes the email address you use for
posting as a local identity/account? Mutt has a specific 'alternates'
configuration to let it know what addresses are local.

> If you want to ensure that you reply to a list, use an MUA that has a
> reply-to-list command - I see you use mutt, which has such a command
> IIRC.

Indeed, and it's exactly what I use when replying to list mail. The
issue isn't making sure that *I* reply to a list, it's asking other
people to reply through the list rather than to me.

Thanks,

Stephen

No comments: