Saturday, May 10, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] constraint exclusion analysis caching

Stephen Frost wrote:
>
>> (BTW, why does your MUA set Mail-Followup-To: (and do it badly, what's
>> more) ?)
>>
>
> I'm amazed at the number of people who ask me this.. Guess it's just
> different for different communities. Basically, I like to keep my mail
> in the different folders it belongs in, so I'd rather get responses to
> my emails through the list than directly to me. Additionally, I don't
> really need to get two copies of every email sent to me on a mailing
> list.
>

I am amazed that you don't see that what your MUA is doing is actually
both wrong and that it inconveniences people.

For example, because it put *my* address in the list for your message
above, it caused my MUA quite correctly to add a To: line to myself,
which I certainly didn't want to do.

And it's completely unnecessary. For example, I have set my majordomo
preferences for the postgresql.org lists not to send me copies of emails
where I am also in the To: or Cc: lines. After doing that I get no
duplicates.

And I don't casue anyone else to have to edit the addresses when they
reply to my mail.

If you want to ensure that you reply to a list, use an MUA that has a
reply-to-list command - I see you use mutt, which has such a command IIRC.

cheers

andrew


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: