Saturday, May 10, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] bloated heapam.h

Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera napsal(a):
>
>> Others are more conflictive. For example syncscan.c is keeping the
>> prototypes for its own functions on heapam.h. Also pruneheap.c and
>> rewriteheap.c. As a result, not only themselves need to include
>> heapam.h (without any other need for it), but they force some other
>> files into including heapam.h to get their prototypes. I think this is
>> a mistake; I propose splitting those prototypes to their own files, and
>> #including those as appropriate.
>>
>> Objections?
>
> I have similar thing in my TODO list. See my patch from March commit fest
> and discussion. I need solve two main issues - remove postgres.h from
> binaries and keep history of structures (for pg_upgrade project).

Yeah, I remember that. Is there any progress on that front?

BTW I noticed that I was a bit careless in the description. rewriteheap
already has its own rewriteheap.h file; and there's no point at all in
separating pruneheap.c declarations into another file.

The one that makes a bit more sense is a new syncscan.h. And there are
a lot of things in heapam.h that actually correspond to tuple
manipulation (heap_form_tuple and so on), so perhaps a new header file
would be appropriate, but there's already htup.h which contains
tuple-related stuff.

--
Alvaro Herrera

http://www.CommandPrompt.com/
PostgreSQL Replication, Consulting, Custom Development, 24x7 support

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: