Sunday, September 28, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] inserting to a multi-table view

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:46:27 -0700,
"Richard Broersma" <richard.broersma@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Michael Shulman <shulman@mathcamp.org> wrote:
>> Would it be possible to actually do something like this in an update
>> rule? You couldn't write the "begin/commit", but it seems that you
>> wouldn't need to either, since the UPDATE command invoking the rule
>> will be wrapped in its own begin/commit (automatic or explicit).

> Thats a good question. I've never tried it. and since then, I gotten
> away from using update-able view. In my case, I like using Natural
> Primary keys so update-able views wouldn't work for me any more. :o)

I've read this thread with great interest as I'm coming to PostgreSQL
from the MS Access world of databases, where one can enter new data into
queries/forms and tables get automatically updated/deleted/inserted into
where expected.

I'm also leaning towards using natural keys where possible and was
wondering how best to create multi-table views that can be
updated/deleted/inserted into. Therefore, any further insights
following the discussion above would be very helpful. Particularly, I'm
curious to learn how PostgreSQL database maintainers handle data
entry/modification requiring multi-table queries. Thanks.


--
Seb


--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: