Sunday, August 31, 2008

Re: [NOVICE] Converting a table from SQL Server

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am just beginning to learn a number of new tools simultaneously, so
>>> please
>>> bear with me. I have installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5 and PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on
>>> a
>>> couple of servers to play with. I also have pgAdmin III 1.8.4 running on
>>> one
>>> workstation which is able to connect with each server. I am not yet fully
>>> happy with the results, but they are close enough now for me to start
>>> trying
>>> a few experiments.
>>>
>>> I found the text below while searching for something on Google. Based on
>>> the
>>> site it was posted to, I believe it is for SQL Server. I would like to
>>> convert it into Postgres and make it a standard component of every
>>> database
>>> I build. (I added the PatchNumber field.)
>>>
>>> But I have only found articles on how to convert from MySQL to Postgres
>>> and
>>> a few on how to convert from SQL Server to MySQL. So how do I translate
>>> this
>>> without leaving the bad taste of MySQL in my mouth? Or is there a similar
>>> recommended practice for Postgres?
>>
>> Do you mean that you want an auto-translator for SQL Server to
>> Postgres? Or do you mean that you just need help with Postgresql
>> syntax? If it is the latter, the docs for postgresql are quite good:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/
>>
>> Sean
>>
>
> In this case, I just want to manually translate these lines from Microsoft
> SQL to Postgres SQL so I can append them to every database and script I
> build. Since I don't know either language yet, and have no desire to learn
> the Microsoft (nor MySQL) variation, I don't know the best way to proceed.
> What makes it even more confusing is that I know just enough Sybase ASA SQL
> to be dangerous. That's the one I have had to deal with at work for the past
> ten years.
>
> I know, the best thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
> from.

Thankfully, Postgresql SQL generally conforms to the SQL standard. I
would suggest working through some simple test examples found online.
You'll learn a great deal about SQL by just typing in examples and
getting familiar with the tools available. Then, you can peruse the
manual to learn more detail and some of the edge cases that you might
want to employ.

Sean

--
Sent via pgsql-novice mailing list (pgsql-novice@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-novice

No comments: