Sunday, August 31, 2008

Re: [NOVICE] Converting a table from SQL Server

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Bob McConnell <rmcconne@lightlink.com> wrote:
> I am just beginning to learn a number of new tools simultaneously, so please
> bear with me. I have installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5 and PostgreSQL 8.2.1 on a
> couple of servers to play with. I also have pgAdmin III 1.8.4 running on one
> workstation which is able to connect with each server. I am not yet fully
> happy with the results, but they are close enough now for me to start trying
> a few experiments.
>
> I found the text below while searching for something on Google. Based on the
> site it was posted to, I believe it is for SQL Server. I would like to
> convert it into Postgres and make it a standard component of every database
> I build. (I added the PatchNumber field.)
>
> But I have only found articles on how to convert from MySQL to Postgres and
> a few on how to convert from SQL Server to MySQL. So how do I translate this
> without leaving the bad taste of MySQL in my mouth? Or is there a similar
> recommended practice for Postgres?

Do you mean that you want an auto-translator for SQL Server to
Postgres? Or do you mean that you just need help with Postgresql
syntax? If it is the latter, the docs for postgresql are quite good:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/

Sean

--
Sent via pgsql-novice mailing list (pgsql-novice@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-novice

No comments: