Sunday, August 31, 2008

[NOVICE] Converting a table from SQL Server

I am just beginning to learn a number of new tools simultaneously, so
please bear with me. I have installed Apache 2.2, PHP 5 and PostgreSQL
8.2.1 on a couple of servers to play with. I also have pgAdmin III 1.8.4
running on one workstation which is able to connect with each server. I
am not yet fully happy with the results, but they are close enough now
for me to start trying a few experiments.

I found the text below while searching for something on Google. Based on
the site it was posted to, I believe it is for SQL Server. I would like
to convert it into Postgres and make it a standard component of every
database I build. (I added the PatchNumber field.)

But I have only found articles on how to convert from MySQL to Postgres
and a few on how to convert from SQL Server to MySQL. So how do I
translate this without leaving the bad taste of MySQL in my mouth? Or is
there a similar recommended practice for Postgres?

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

-------------------------------------
At some point in the future, the schema will have to change. Before you
baseline the database you need to add a table to record these schema
changes. The following table is the kind of table I'd use to track
every change to a database.

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[SchemaChanges](
[ID] [int] IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,
[MajorReleaseNumber] [varchar](2) NOT NULL,
[MinorReleaseNumber] [varchar](2) NOT NULL,
[PointReleaseNumber] [varchar](4) NOT NULL,
[PatchNumber] [varchar](4) NOT NULL,
[ScriptName] [varchar](50) NOT NULL,
[DateApplied] [datetime] NOT NULL,

CONSTRAINT [PK_SchemaChangeLog]
PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED ([SchemaChangeID] ASC)
)

The first baseline schema script should, as the last step, officially
install version 1.0 of the database:

INSERT INTO [SchemaChangeLog]
([MajorReleaseNumber]
,[MinorReleaseNumber]
,[PointReleaseNumber]
,[PatchNumber]
,[ScriptName]
,[DateApplied])
VALUES
('01'
,'00'
,'0000'
,'0000'
,'initial install'
,GETDATE())

posted on Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:46 PM by scott

--
Sent via pgsql-novice mailing list (pgsql-novice@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-novice

No comments: