Sunday, August 17, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] [PgFoundry] Unsigned Data Types

I can say that we have had several times to use bigint instead because of the lack of uint type in postgres.

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
On Aug 15, 2008, at 1:00 AM, Ryan Bradetich wrote:
Here is the first pass at the unsigned data type I have been working on.

I am planning on adding these to the September 2008 commitfest wiki page.
The unsigned data type is not targeted for core, but for the uint PgFoundry project.


Is the intention for the types to go into pg_catalog? It'd be nice if you could specify what schema they should be installed in. An uninstall would also be good.

The pg_catalog made since to me at first (especially for my application), but on reflection I believe you are right.   I will remove the references to the pg_catalog schema and allow the user to add the unsigned data type to any schema.  Good catch on the uninstall script.  I should have written this as well.   I will post an update to the wiki later tonight.
 

Thanks for doing this, I've wished we had uint types in the past, and I'm sure I will again in the future!

I am glad it is useful.  I needed it for my current project, and I was hoping others could use it as well.

Thanks,

- Ryan



No comments: