Sunday, August 17, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] pgbench duration option

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> This seems like a fairly bad idea, because it introduces a
> gettimeofday() call per transaction.

There's already lots of paths through pgbench that introduce gettimeofday
calls all over the place. I fail to see how this is any different.

> If this were worth doing (which IMHO it isn't)

I think that switching the recommended practice for running pgbench to
something time-based rather than transactions-based would increase the
average quality of results people got considerably. How many times do you
see people posting numbers that worthless because the test ran for a
trivial amount of time? Seems like it happens a lot to me. This patch
was already on my todo list for 8.4 and I'm glad I don't have to write it
myself now.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@gregsmith.com http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: