Sunday, August 17, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] Overhauling GUCS

On Aug 17, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Michael Nacos wrote:
>
>> Hi there... Configuration autotuning is something I am really
>> interested in.
>> I have seen this page: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/
>> GUCS_Overhaul and
>> a couple of emails mentioning this, so I wanted to ask is someone
>> already
>> on it? If yes, I'd like to contribute.
>
> Good time to give a status report on what's been going on with all
> this.
>
> With some help I just finished off an answer to problem #1 there
> recently, "Most people have no idea how to set these". There was
> some concern here that work was being done on config tools without a
> clear vision of what was going to be tuned. See http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
> for an intro on how to set the 18 most important parameters (+7
> logging parameters) based on the best information I'm aware of.
>
> Circa June, Steve Atkins was looking into writing a C++/Qt GUI
> tuning interface application, with the idea that somebody else would
> figure out the actual smarts to the tuning effort. Don't know where
> that's at.

First pass is done. Needs a little cleanup before sharing. I spent a
fair while down OS-specific-hardware-queries rathole, but I'm better
now.

Cheers,
Steve


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: