Friday, August 15, 2008

Re: [ADMIN] New postgres installation

It been suggested that I download the binary and just go from there.
All the documentation I've read says that for Unix installations
should compile source. Would using the binary allow me to do the
customization my site requires. I want to put the database in it's
original location so that faculty won't have to change they're
instructions to students.

Carol

PS Again, My OS is Solaris 10.

On Aug 14, 2008, at 5:21 PM, Reed Loefgren wrote:

> Carol Walter wrote:
>> I'm running Solaris 10. I'm not sure whether I'd compile source
>> or use package manager. I haven't done enough research to know
>> which one is right for us. I will be migrating my old data into
>> the new version. I don't have any client apps that need testing -
>> yet. In fact, I don't have any client applications. I'm in an
>> academic environment. The databases I have on this server are
>> largely student creations. There are two faculty research
>> projects that are using this but one of them is closed down for
>> now, and they other is one that I'm rewriting from ColdFusion to
>> PHP, and it hasn't really started yet. That's part of my reason
>> for wanting to do this now. We are between the last summer
>> session and the start of the fall semester. This upgrade will
>> effect very few people at this time. I just really want to put
>> this back where the earlier one was, if I can. The faculty have
>> syllabi that have paths and links in them that will confuse the
>> students if things aren't where they expect.
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> On Aug 14, 2008, at 3:34 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:
>>
>>> Carol Walter wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>>
>>>> I want to do a new installation of postgres. I have version
>>>> 8.2.3 and I want to go to 8.3.3. The postgres documentation
>>>> says that the default location for the installation is /usr/
>>>> local/pgsql. My installation has obviously been customized
>>>> because I have no such path on my system. The documentation
>>>> also says you can customize the location by including prefix = */
>>>> PREFIX/* in the ./configuration file. Is there a way I can tell
>>>> what this customization was? There are several directories that
>>>> contain many of the same files. I have several installations of
>>>> postgres running on different servers. If this is anything like
>>>> everything else I've seen there, quite possibly, is a different
>>>> customization for each server.
>>>> Thank you very much,
>>>>
>>>> Carol Walter
>>>>
>>>>
>>> What OS?
>>>
>>> How do you plan to install (source?, package-manager?)
>>>
>>> Do you need to save data from old installation?
>>>
>>> Do you have any client applications that need testing (or is this
>>> to test them)? There are a few changes that could bite you
>>> (changes to automatic casting and changed cluster syntax to name
>>> a couple).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Steve
>>>
>>
>>
> Carol,
>
> I have never run Solaris, but you can probably find a pre-compiled
> package of 8.3.3, and instructions on installing, over at
> www.blastwave.com (.org?) They support opensolaris but might be
> what you need anyway. That would cover the Solaris part, for the
> postgresql part you'll need to look to the mailing lists or on usenet.
>
> Good luck,
>
> r


--
Sent via pgsql-admin mailing list (pgsql-admin@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-admin

No comments: