Thursday, July 10, 2008

Re: [PERFORM] Altering a column type - Most efficient way

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 09:57 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> > This is what I see on the table
> >
> > NEW attypmod = -1
> > OLD attypmod = 8
>
> 8 means varchar(4) which is what you said you had (4+4)
> -1 means unlimited size.
>

This is cool.

If it were this simple a change, I'm not certain why (I believe) PG is
checking each and every row to see if it will fit into the new column
definition/type.

Thus, I'm still a bit hesitant to do the change, although it is
definitely a very enticing thing to do. ( I presume also that this
change will be instantaneous and does not need to check on each and
every row of the table?)

Thanks./

--
Sent via pgsql-performance mailing list (pgsql-performance@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-performance

No comments: