Thursday, July 10, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] gsoc, text search selectivity and dllist enhancments

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Jan Urbański wrote:
>
>> Oh, one important thing. You need to choose a bucket width for the LC
>> algorithm, that is decide after how many elements will you prune your
>> data structure. I chose to prune after every twenty tsvectors.
>
> Do you prune after X tsvectors regardless of the numbers of lexemes in
> them? I don't think that preserves the algorithm properties; if there's
> a bunch of very short tsvectors and then long tsvectors, the pruning
> would take place too early for the initial lexemes. I think you should
> count lexemes, not tsvectors.

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. I'm not sure why I was reluctant to
prune in the middle of a tsvector, maybe it's just in my head.
Still, there's a decision to be made: after how many lexemes should the
pruning occur?

--
Jan Urbanski
GPG key ID: E583D7D2

ouden estin


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: