Saturday, July 26, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] php + postgresql

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Friday 25. July 2008, Christophe wrote:
>
...
> My 2 cents: The prime reason for the popularity of PHP is probably the
> very gentle learning curve. You can start with a static HTML page, and
> introduce a few PHP snippets to show dynamic content. For us
> self-taught people, that means that you get instant results with
> minimal work.

Seems you never used a decent template engine, such as TAL
http://www.owlfish.com/software/simpleTAL/tal-guide.html

Which really is "code by example" instead of intermixing language
constructs with HTML which is incredibly hard to maintain.

> If any language want to compete with PHP in popularity, I believe that
> it must be just as easy to mingle with HTML. $DEITY, I would love to be
> able to include Perl code in a HTML page inside a pair of <?pl and ?>
> tags.

Most if not all other languages which are used for the web do have
those ways, which does not mean its recommended to do so.

> Now, I don't write PHP scripts like that anymore. I like to have every
> single character served as HTML to be generated by a function. And I

Which is for sure very performant ;)

> realize that Perl would do that even better than PHP. But as I have
> become quite proficient with PHP, I tend to keep using that. It surely
> does the job.

And hope that you arent bitten by nasty bugs in the language
implementation or your security configuration of it :-)

Ok, enough PHP bashing. Sun is shining here and so I invite everybody
to enjoy the weekend :-)

T.

No comments: