Saturday, July 26, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] php + postgresql

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 11:13 +0930, admin wrote:
>
>> Anyway, while I'm quite happy to continue banging out things that "just
>> work" in PHP for the time being, you suggest (in a subsequent post) that
>> there is one scripting language in particular that you'd use ... might I
>> enquire which language that is, and why? Just curious, I'm definitely
>> not looking for an ideological debate.
>
> You do realize that you just opened one of the longest, loudest and most
> inherently beer inducing arguments known to man since Emacs vs Vi?
> (answer: Joe) So why not! I use Python. I love Python. Although I
> guarantee you that others will say ruby, perl, java (well maybe not
> java).

I'd say python too but I intentionally left that out in the discussion
just to avoid that usual foo vs. bar discussion which isn't to win.

> The answer to your question is:
>
> Use what works for you.
But this might as well include that you know if that really works for
you instead of beeing something that you stumble over and hope it will
work (because it seems to work for so many others)

> I used PHP for years, I actually used Perl before PHP but got tired of
> the Perl oddness. I moved on to Python and love it. There are things in
> it I don't like (just see subprocess) but for the most part, its
> gorgeous.

Yeah, I used C (for the web), i tried perl and came to python. Whenever
I checked PHP I found it so bad designed (if at all) that it really
hurted. And occassionally I'm asked for help on PHP questions so I see
nothing essentially has changed on the matters for the last 10 years.
Its still confusing naming of functions (hello namespaces), not really
a type system (think '1' + 2 ) and the like. PHP5 didn't change much
because if you want to adopt OOP you could as well just use a language
which does this for years (even Ecmascript) or - as most seem to do -
just continue to code old style. This horrible mixing of code and HTML
is even found in JSP code these days.

T.

No comments: