Sunday, July 6, 2008

Re: [BUGS] error ' Client encoding Mismatch' with Version 8.1.4

Hi all,

I tried to look into the problem, still unable to solve the problem.

Problem details:

We have a custom application which installs Postgres 8.1.4. It provides option for selection of encoding.

Below is the line which does the same based on the encoding selection:

"

msiexec /i postgresql-8.1-int.msi /qn -l  %LogFile% ADDLOCAL=server,psql,pgadmin INTERNALLAUNCH=1 DOSERVICE=1 DOINITDB=1 SERVICEDOMAIN="%COMPUTERNAME%" SERVICEACCOUNT="postgres" SERVICEPASSWORD="Password1*2*3"  SUPERPASSWORD="postgres" CREATESERVICEUSER=1 ENCODING=%Lang% LISTENPORT=7432 PERMITREMOTE=1 NOSHORTCUTS=1 BASEDIR=%JM_ROOT_WIN%\StdyDb DATADIR=%JM_ROOT_WIN%\StdyDb\data

"

Where “Lang” is the selection done by user.

 

I changed it to ENCODING=”UTF8” installation in UTF8 format.

 

I installed the Postgres 8.1.4 version with UTF8 as encoding. This works properly when my regional settings are Japanese but the same installation fails as soon as I change my regional settings to Greek. When I try to connect to the database with Greek regional settings it throws the error "Client Encoding mismatch".

 

I feel there is some setting done at the installation time which makes it work correctly in Japanese regional language settings only. Hence it fails when I change them to Greek.

What can be the cause for this behavior? Do I need to change some settings on cygwin or pgaccess side at installation time?

I even tried changing the encoding for database to Unicode still the same error. (createdb –E UTF8 Xyz)

 

 

Note:-

I have even tried with direct installation of Postgres version 8.1.4. It behaves in the same way as our Custom installer is behaving. It seems there is problem in the version 8.1.4 itself.

Tom,

I think the error is thrown from the Postgres side only. I am getting the same error while working with direct installer of Postgres. I get this error with Greek and Thai regional language settings, not with Japanese.

 

Please help me on the same.

 

 

 

Regards,

Ashutosh

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 8:29 PM
To: Ashutosh Kumar S-TLS,Chennai
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] error ' Client encoding Mismatch' with Version 8.1.4

 

"Ashutosh Kumar S-TLS,Chennai" <ashutoshks@hcl.in> writes:

> Problem is whenever I am trying to open the database through ODBC

> connection it throws an error 'Client encoding mismatch'.

 

That phrase occurs noplace in Postgres 8.1, so the error must be coming

from something on the client side.  We can't really help you here ---

you need to find out which bit of software is throwing the error and

ask its authors what is the cause.

 

                  regards, tom lane

No comments: