Sunday, July 6, 2008

[HACKERS] pg_ctl -w with postgresql.conf in non-default path

Hello guys,

This is my first post to this list..

I'm using PostgreSQL8.3.3 and I moved postgresql.conf to the
outside of DATA direcotory, and invoked postgres via pg_ctl
as following.

pg_ctl -w -D /data -o '--config-file=/home/hirano/postgresql.conf' start

This seems to work well, but when I changed the port parameter in
that postgresql.conf, pg_ctl waits for timeout by "-w" option.
In this case, postgres correctly listens the port I wrote in
config, but pg_ctl checkes the port in the data/postgresql.conf
file.

I think this is because the path to postgresql.conf is hard-coded
in the pg_ctl.c

| snprintf(conf_file, MAXPGPATH, "%s/postgresql.conf", pg_data);

But actually there're no descriptions of --config-file option in the
manual of postgres command, although I'm not sure how I could
find it...

Is it bad way to use --config-file option or pg_ctl bug?

Regards.

--
HIRANO Yoshitaka


--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: