Thursday, June 19, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] Database design: Backwards-compatible field addition

>> Problem with this is that some RDBMS (Postgresql specifically) don't
>> let you run update statements on views.
>
> Given 1) the view will be "fairly uncomplicated" and hence
> "fairly straightforward" ON INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE rule can
> likely be added to it allowing for an apparently writable
> view.
>

Thanks for the info.

I had the mistaken idea that rules and triggers were only for real
tables & not views (I've never used them before).

I would like to avoid using them if possible (extra complexity, and
don't want to rename tables & make new views each time I need to make
backwards-incompatible app updates), but they are there if I need
them.

David.

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: