Friday, May 23, 2008

[Suspected Spam] Re: [GENERAL] F-Secure and PostgreSQL

----- Original Message -----
From: "Konsta Tiihonen" <konsta@gmx.net>
To: <pgsql-general@postgresql.org>
Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 5:29 AM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] F-Secure and PostgreSQL


>
>> Konsta Tiihonen wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > after some research a month ago I found out that there is some issue
>> > between the software F-secure Internet Security (2006, 2007, 2008)
>> > and the Windows version of postgreSQL. I cannot connect to
>> > postgreSQL.
>>
>> You probably need to check the F-Secure manual for details, but
>> presumably you need to stop the firewall from blocking port 5432 (which
>> is what PostgreSQL uses).
>>
>> Can you connect from the maching PostgreSQL is installed on? It would be
>> unusual if the firewall is blocking localhost.
>>
>> Oh, and you'll want to make sure the anti-virus scanner isn't scanning
>> the database folder too. There have been cases where av scanners
>> interfere with the database.
>
> I opened the port 5432 inbound and outbound already. As far as I konw
> there are some other ports for negotiation as well. I opened those up,
> too. Connecting to it is not possible. The postgreSQL service is running
> on the same machine, so there is no other machine I could try to connect
> from.
>
> I will give 'not scanning the directory' a shot.
>
> Is there somebody else who is running F-Secure and postgreSQL on a Windows
> PC or am I the only person with this setting?
>

I was able to get PostgeSQL working with F-Secure on Windows XP, but it was
INCREDIBLY slow. I was not able to resolve the problem even with the
assistance of my ISP tech support staff who supplies F-Secure as part of my
internet service package. Turning off the F-Secure service (all components)
did NOT speed things up. PostgreSQL only returned to normal when the
F-Secure software was totally uninstalled. I installed and uninstalled
F-Secure several times to duplicate the problem. I finally gave up and
installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and everything ran normally with no
special configuration required.

George

> Best regards,
>
> Konsta Tiihonen
>
> --
> Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
> To make changes to your subscription:
> http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general
>

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: