Tuesday, May 13, 2008

[GENERAL] PG -v- MySQL

Hi:

 

I work for a large corporation that uses many different databases.  I used to use Oracle but then moved away, mainly because of the expense and complexity.  I wanted to stay on Linux, so I shy’ed away from SQL-Server.  Many others around here use MySQL, but I decided to go with Postgres because at the time, it had more features and seemed more stable and robust.  I’ve been very pleased with PG so far.

 

I’ve been invited to participate in a forum which discusses technical issues for relational DBs used in the corporation.  The 3 DBs they are discussing are Oracle, SQL-Server and MySQL.  I’d like to introduce PG, but want to be able to address the “Why not use MySQL” questions when they arise.  I know in the past there have been many comparisons between the 2 DBs but would like to know if there are any good, recent ones.  Also, any “off-the-cuff” comments would be welcome, especially if you have used both DBs.

 

Thanks in Advance

-dave

 

No comments: