Thursday, May 8, 2008

[GENERAL] auto-vacuum questions

Hi, I have a couple of questions on the auto-vacuum daemon:

1) How do I know it is running. I suspect it has not been, and
I carefully checked the documentation and found a variable that
wasn't set (stats_row_level defaults to off in 8.1, should be
"on"). So I changed that and restarted, but how do I *know* that
is or isn't vacuuming?

2) Every night I do

pg_dump -c mydb | psql -d mydbtest

so I create a copy of the database in a different name for testing
purposes. But the new database, mydbtest, always has slow queries.
I run an analyze and they speed up. There are NO transactions in
mydbtest until I come in and start testing, does this mean
auto-vacuum won't analyze it? Is this maybe related to question
1 where I think auto-vacuum actually wasn't running?

Thanks,

j

--
John Gateley <gateley@jriver.com>

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: