Sunday, September 14, 2008

[SQL] a simple transform

I've thrashed at this transform for quite a while and come up empty. The
crosstab() functions, and the documented examples, all do something more
complex than I need. I can do this after the fact trivially in python with
the 'zip()' function, but I need it real-time from a view or function.

Of course I could be overlooking the obvious (it's happened before!)

I have this:
attr1 attr2 attr3
------ ------ ------
cat1 0.34 0.12 0.22
cat2 0.11 0.67 0.31

and need it transposed thus:
cat1 cat2
----- -----
attr1 0.34 0.11
attr2 0.12 0.67
attr3 0.22 0.31

in case it adds motivation (;^/), cat1 and cat2 are democrat & republican;
the attr's are campaign issues; the values are "aboutness" derived from a
text similarity measure

tia
Karl


--
Sent via pgsql-sql mailing list (pgsql-sql@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-sql

No comments: