Sunday, September 14, 2008

[GENERAL] Statement level trigger clarification

I'm new to triggers and I'm having difficulty in understanding how
statement level triggers on before updates work.

I have a function that sets new.last_modified := current_timestamp;

If I were to define a trigger as:-

CREATE TRIGGER my_trigger
BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
ON my_table
FOR EACH STATEMENT
EXECUTE PROCEDURE my_function();

and my update statement were to update more than one row, would I be
correct in understanding that every row the update statement touches
will have the exact same value for last_modified?


Chris
--
Chris Velevitch
Manager - Adobe Platform Users Group, Sydney
m: 0415 469 095
www.apugs.org.au

Adobe Platform Users Group, Sydney
September meeting: It's Going To Be Brilliant
Date: Mon 29th September 6pm for 6:30 start
Details and RSVP on http://apugs2008september.eventbrite.com

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: