Thursday, August 21, 2008

[SQL] Question on partitioning

Hello , All.
 
I am not sure if this is the right mailing list to place this question.
If it doesn't, please kindly redirect me to the right list.
 
I have a giant table with about 10,6 million records.
 
Queries on it are usually slow, and if I try to do something more elaborate like an INNER JOIN with itself it becomes unnacceptably slow.
 
I am looking for a way to improve performance.
One of the columns is of type date. Each "day" includes about a few tens of thousands records
And the older  a date is the less likely I am to do queries on it.
 
The objective of the "self join" is to compare data from two different days, looking for diferences.
 
Ive read that one of the benefits of partitioning is to speed up queries by separating less used records.
 
My question is if partitioning can be a good way to make the queries faster (specially the self joins) or if it isn't worth trying because it doesn't help on my particular situation.
 
Please kindly advice me on this
 
Many thanks in advance for your kind help
 
Best,
Oliveiros
 

No comments: