Thursday, August 28, 2008

[ADMIN] Installing PostgreSQL 8.3.3. on Vista

I tried installing PostgreSQL 8.3.3 on Vista Business, and initdb failed to start during the installer.  I'd really like to make this install as automatic as possible since I'm installing PostgreSQL as part of my application installer process.  It would be best if the user does not have to deal with any sort of configuration for Postgres.  I also tried running the main MSI file with the graphical interface, and ran into the same problem.  Here is the message I received first:
Failed to run initdb: 1!
 
I checked the initdb.log file it generated, and all it said was
"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."
 
So I checked the event log, and it had the following:
 
Log Name:      Application
Source:        SideBySide
Date:          8/28/2008 7:23:49 AM
Event ID:      33
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      VISTATEST
Description:
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\initdb.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-08-28T14:23:49.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>593</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>VISTATEST</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC80.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50727.762"</Data>
    <Data>C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\initdb.exe</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
 
I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with sxstrace.exe, though.  The usage example showed parsing a *.etl file, but I can't find any of these on my system.
 
Any help would be appreciated.
 
Thanks,
 
Brandon

No comments: