Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] stat() vs cygwin

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Kenneth Marshall wrote:
>
>> One motivation for keeping it working on Cygwin, is that in some
>> environments it is not allowed to install native Windows apps but
>> they allow the use of the Cygwin environment. Of course if it takes
>> too many resources to support, then dropping support would be an
>> option. I would check this for you, but I am in the middle of moving
>> and my Windows/Cygwin box is not available right now.
>>
>
> Does anybody seriously have such a broken policy? I know a lot of places
> who have inverse policy, where they don't allow cygwin, but I've never
> heard of anybody refusing native programs and only allowing cygwin. Just
> like I've heard of no linux shops requiring that you run your database
> under wine...
>
>
>

This whole argument is pointless, ISTM. We are not in the business of
telling people what environment to use Postgres in.

Using Cygwin is still the best way I know of to use psql on Windows, and
it works just fine as a development environment.

By contrast, setting up a development environment for the native build
in either supported flavor is distinctly non-trivial.

(And yes I know about the problems Cygwin causes if you put it in the
System PATH. Don't do that.)

More to the point: I thought this had been tested. I will test it today
so we can put this whole thread to rest.

cheers

andrew

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: