Friday, June 13, 2008

[GENERAL] Overloading

I never did get an answer to this.

I get:
ERROR:  cannot change return type of existing function
HINT:  Use DROP FUNCTION first.

********** Error **********

ERROR: cannot change return type of existing function
SQL state: 42P13
Hint: Use DROP FUNCTION first.


When I try to:

  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION check_date_ymd(given_date varchar) RETURNS BOOLEAN  AS
and
  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION check_date_ymd(given_date varchar, OUT isvalid boolean, OUT ryear int, OUT rmonth int, OUT rday int)  AS

I wanted to an 'is it valid' version, and another that would save runtime by also returning values that would speed up the
function date_to_utime().

in pg_proc there is no 'check_date_ymd', so there is no 'collision'.

Can someone elucidate me on this?

Thanks!
Ralph



No comments: